Business Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Business License Applications

For all vendors/businesses not physically located in the City of Indian Wells please complete the "Outside" application.

Online Business License Renewals

For 2020 Online Renewals please visit

The City of Indian Wells requires a business license for all contractors, sub-contractors, short-term rentals, mobile businesses and landscape companies. Anyone conducting a business, service or contracting work within the City of Indian Wells must obtain a business license.

Please be advised that Business Licenses are not prorated and expire at the end of each calendar year. (December 31st).

Applications are available above. You can also obtain an application from the Business License Division at Indian Wells City Hall during office hours with the counter being closed daily for lunch from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m., or contact our office to request an application via mail, email or fax. Please Note: we are able to accept a faxed or E-mailed copy for expediting purposes, but require that the original application be mailed or personally delivered to our office along with payment. Fax (760) 346-0407 or

  1. All Contractors must have a current and valid contractors license with the Contractor's State License Board, they can be reached at 1-800-321-2752.

  2. Anyone selling products must have a State Sellers Permit. If you are in-city business you must provide a copy of your Seller's Permit when you apply. Please note your permit number and it must show the Indian Wells business address. The State Board of Equalization will be able to provide address changes, if needed.

  3. If a Fictitious Business Name is used, it must be filed through the County of Riverside. You will be required to publish the name in the local newspaper. Copies of the fictitious name statement and proof of publication (receipt) must be included with your application.

  4. If a partnership, Corporation, trust or Limited Liability Corporation owns the business; you must provide a Federal ID Number (EIN). If you are a Sole Proprietor you may either use Social Security Number or a federal ID Number. A husband Wife may not need to obtain a Federal ID Number. Please check the above link for details. Businesses that are corporations must attach copies of the first three pages of their Articles of Incorporation.

  5. If you have employees, you must provide a State ID Number (EDD).

  6. If you operate a business that is licensed by a state agency (such as contractors) you must provide your State License Number and a copy of the State Contractor Card.

On September 19, 2012, Governor Brown signed into law Senate Bill 1186 which adds a state fee of $1.00 on any applicant or renewal for a local business license beginning January 1, 2013, starting January 1, 2017 the fee increased to $4.00. In addition, SB1186 requires the following information to be given:

Notice: Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

Attention Gardeners and Landscape Professionals: As part of a valley wide ordinance to improve air quality, before you renew or apply for your Business License in Indian Wells you will be required annually to obtain a Certificate of Completion issued by Coachella Valley Association of Governments (CVAG) certifying successful completion of their free Overseeding Course and a Certificate of Completion issued by the Coachella Valley Water District (CVWD) certifying successful completion of their free Water Conservation Landscape Certification Program. For more information or to register for this course, please contact College of the Desert - PACE at (760) 776-7420 or visit

Massage Therapy

Those who wish to work as massage therapists in the City of Indian Wells must obtain State Certification through the California Massage Therapy Council (CAMTC).

For more information on State Certification please visit

Tobacco Retailers License

All Retailers who wish to sell cigarettes, tobacco products, etc. must obtain a California Cigarette and Tobacco Products Retailer’s License. A Sellers Permit may also be required.

For further information and to apply for the State Cigarette and Tobacco License please visit or contact the State Board of Equalization Business Tax and Fee Department at 1-800-400-7115.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer